Sustainable Development Goals in Action
Grades 6 – 8
The 2022 United Nations Summer Camp: Sustainable Development Goals in Action, is a weeklong summer camp for middle school students interested in learning about global affairs through the work of the United Nations.
About the Course: The 2022 United Nations Summer Camp: Sustainable Development Goals in Action, is a weeklong summer camp for middle school students interested in learning about global affairs through the work of the United Nations. The program will give student participants an opportunity to participate in interactive expert briefings, games, and activities, while honing key skills and collaborating with their peers along the way. Participants will step into the shoes of diplomats as they work together to study the Sustainable Development Goals, learn public speaking tips and strategies, and make new friends while having fun! The Council’s United Nations Summer Camp will end with an action-oriented final program day, which will feature either a full-day field trip to the UN Headquarters in New York City or a viable alternative, such as a virtual visit to the UN with briefings from UN agencies or a full-day Model UN Simulation. The program is guaranteed to empower students with the tools necessary to be agents of change in their schools and local communities! This program welcomes all students in grades 6-8, regardless of their familiarity with the United Nations or Model United Nations.
- Gain a deeper understanding of the mission, structure, and function of the United Nations from our trained Model UN facilitators and expert lecturers;
- Understand the role of diplomacy and deliberation in international affairs;
- Hone key Jr. Model UN skills like conflict resolution, problem solving and cross-cultural communication by participating in public speaking activities;
- Engage in team-building activities and practice digital literacy, researching, and public speaking through independent and group activities; and
- Explore real-life solutions to local and international issues related to the UN’s Sustainable Development Goals.
Several days before the start of the program, registered students will receive access to a curated resource guide that includes all the resources and materials needed for participation in the program.
Arts & Culture, History, Civics and Social Studies, Life Skills
Targeted Age Group(s):
Middle School (Grades 6 – 8)
Date / Time Offered:
Monday, June 27 – Thursday, June 30, 2022; 9 a.m. – 1:30 p.m. Monday through Wednesday and 9 a.m. – 3 p.m. Thursday